Psychology Undergraduate Student Conference
2014 PSYCHOLOGY UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT CONFERENCE
The Department of Psychology, FIU Chapter of Psi Chi Honor Society, and the Psychology Ambassadors for Student Success are hosting the Ninth Annual Psychology Careers and Research Conference. This event will be held on Tuesday October 14st, 2014 in the University Park Graham Center Ballroom.
All psychology majors, and minors are strongly encouraged to attend this important all day event. Those students planning to start their career upon graduation will have the opportunity to identify what career resources are available to them, access additional resume building knowledge and connect with potential employers that traditionally hire students in from the field of psychology during the morning session. For those thinking about going on to graduate school, various sessions will cover the necessary key areas for preparation, application development and general graduate school planning
The 2014 Psychology Careers and Research Conference begins at 9:00am. Breakfast and Registration Check in begins at 8:00am. The conference will run throughout the day with concurrent workshops that students can attend. Those students planning to start their career upon graduation will have to opportunity to identify what career resources are available to them, access additional resume building knowledge and connect with potential employers that traditionally hire students in from the field of psychology following this presentation. During this section of the conference you will have the opportunity to attend workshops that focus on some aspect related to career planning with a BS in Psychology. In addition, you will have the opportunity to explore the options for graduate school as well as a chance to get information on research labs affiliated with the department of psychology. In addition, psychology graduate programs in South Florida will have representative on hand to answer questions about their department, programs and admission processes during this afternoon session.
MORNING SESSIONS: 9:00am- 11:40am
- 8:00am-9:00am- Registration and Check In – Light Breakfast
- 9:00am-9:20am- Welcome & Opening Remarks
- 9:20am-10:00am: General Presentation: Fall into Your Future. What Can I do with a Bachelor's in Psychology? - Career Services
10:10-10:50 Session I
- Option 1: Graduate programs in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Athletic Training and Speech Pathology.
- Option 2: Maximizing your Employment Opportunities
- Option 3: Countdown to Graduate School
11:00-10:40 Session II
- Option 1: Scholarships and Internships
- Option 2: MS in Counselor Education Programs: Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Rehabilitation Counseling, School Counseling
- Option 3: Social Work (Double Major or Masters)
11:50-12:30 Session III
- Option 1: Making the Score: GRE Preparation
- Option 2: Psychology for Pre-Med & Health Professions
- Option 3: Travel and Study
Lunch 12:30-1:30 1:30-2:10 Main Presentation:
2:20-3:00 Session IV
- Option 1: Career Options in Applied Psychology: Behavior Analysis vs Counseling
- Option 2: PhD in Legal Psychology or PhD in Clinical Science
- Option 3: Developmental, Cognitive Psychology, and Industrial Organizational Psychology
3:10-3:50 Session V
- Option 1: Psychology for Law School
- Option 2: Getting Involved; Join an Organization
- Option 3: Studying essentials; How to get the most of your study sessions.
5:00pm-6:00pm Poster Session- Ballroom Lobby
Call for Posters :If you are an undergraduate student who have done research in one of the psychology labs and would like to present a poster during this time please contact Gali Milbauer: firstname.lastname@example.org and Andrea Green email@example.com
6:30pm-8:30pm Research Forum
Each student attending the conference is required to pay a $8.00 registration fee at the door. This fee covers your entrance into the conference, breakfast and lunch. The Conference fee must be paid with your FIU One-Card.
Depositing Money to Your FIU OneCard can be easily made using the following methods:
- By Credit Card — Process FIU Debit Account deposit online using a credit card.
- At a Value port – Deposit cash into your FIU Debit Account at any of our 10 value ports located throughout both campuses for your convenience.
- In Person at the One Card Office — Make cash deposits to your FIU Debit Account at the FIU One Card Office at your respective campus. Please note that the cashiers cannot accept credit cards.
A number of Psychology instructors are offering extra credit for attending one of the conference sessions. Please confirm with your instructor that you will earn extra credit for attending; extra credit will not be given if the instructor did not indicate it was an option in advance of the conference date.
All students will be sent an email with instructions on how to receive extra credit by filling out a conference survey. The email will be sent directly to all students who checked in at the conference. Once the survey has been completed, the student's information will be forwarded to their professors accordingly.
For more information about the 2014 PSYCHOLOGY CAREERS & RESEARCH CONFERENCE please contact 305-348-2880.