FIU Travel Policies
Policies Before You Travel
The Graduate Student and Professional Committee is the most common way to receive funding for a conference. To apply please go to: https:/webforms.fiu.eduview.php?id=176663
You must apply minimum five weeks before the conference but it is highly suggested you do it sooner.
The College of Arts, Sciences & Education will support graduate travel on a matching basis. The college will award up to $200 once a year to encourage graduate students to present their research at professional meetings, to defray travel expenses associated with research, or to interview for a job.
To apply for matching funds please send to graduate secretary the following:
- Fill out application which may be found at: https:/case.fiu.eduacademics/graduate/index.html
- Obtain a supporting memo from major professor (may be same letter that was done for GPSC)
- Write a brief memo requesting the matching funds from yourself
- Submit all these materials to the graduate secretary five weeks before your departure date.
A travel authorization must be created BEFORE you leave to go to a conference. Travel Authorization is created by graduate secretary and then sent for the approvals.
If GPSC is funding your trip you must provide the email confirmation from GPSC before the T.A. can be created.
Some things to keep in mind when booking your travel:
Airfare confirmation/invoices need to show coach or economy class and must show credit card used with last four digits and the amount of airfare.
If you use one of the web sites for example like Cheap Tickets, Orbitz etc please make sure you print out a receipt because often they do not put the last 4 digits and credit card used on the airfare confirmation. So a receipt is needed.
If you are planning to be reimbursed please only use your credit card to book your airfare and registration. If a group of you want to be on the same flight please just sit together to book it at the same time. But use separate credit cards.
Credit card Statements cannot be used in place of receipts or invoices. They may be used in addition to your receipts in certain cases. One area may be when a group of students share a hotel room and it’s under one student’s name but several of you have your credit card swiped and the hotel does not print your name next to your credit card or on the invoice. You may provide your statement just to prove which of the credit cards swiped belongs to you.
Policies After You Travel
Reimbursement/Expense Report Process
Items needed to process your reimbursement:
- Airfare confirmation/Invoice (if you did not provide it before your trip).
- Registration confirmation (if you did not provide it before your trip)
- Hotel Receipt (even if you are not being reimbursed for the hotel, the Controller’s requires it anyway to see where you stayed)
- Front page of the conference program copied along with the page(s) of where your name is that you presented. Also, if there is an overview of the schedule a copy of that.
- Copies of boarding passes are optional but it is always a good idea to submit them. (Please check, if you have GPSC funding, this may be a requirement for them).
- If you did have other items that are reimbursable like taxi/airport shuttles you may submit those as well.
No receipts are needed for meals. A set amount is reimbursed per meal.
Once you submit everything to Lara, she will do your reimbursement as soon as it’s possible and then email you to come sign the expense report.
Once expense report is submitted all budget managers must approve it and then the final approval is from the Controller’s department. This process can take several weeks and even up to a month as there are only 4 accountants in the Controller’s office who share the work load of the whole University.