Prospective Grad Students
The Department of Psychology at Florida International University provides high quality graduate education and training in basic and applied areas of Psychology. The Department has a nationally prominent Doctoral program with five areas of specialization: Clinical Science in Childhood and Adolescence, Cognitive Neuroscience, Developmental Science, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, and Legal Psychology. At the Master of Science level, students can specialize in Counseling Psychology. A joint MS/JD degree in Psychology and Law is also offered. Students interested in applying to our Masters Program or our Doctoral Program must meet the admission requirements and submit an online application to the Florida International University Graduate School. All applicants must submit their materials prior to the academic year in which they are seeking admission.
Department of Psychology Graduate Admission Requirements
To apply to the Professional Counseling Program please click here.
The following materials must be uploaded and submitted to the University Graduate School by December 1st. If you have an questions about the application deadline please contact us.
- Complete the Online Graduate Application after completing Florida International University Graduate School Application. + Curriculum vitae or resume that provides pertinent information on previous experience, education, honors, awards, interests, community service and achievements.
- A statement of intent, including a discussion of educational and career objectives, and the relationship of the MS or Ph.D. degree to the achievement of those objectives. Statements should not exceed three typewritten, double- spaced pages.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons who are in a position to evaluate the applicant's previous professional, academic, and personal performance, and her/his potential for success in a graduate program. Forms are available from the University Graduate School but are not required by the department. Letters should be written on letterhead or stationery. Letters of recommendation must be uploaded or sent directly by the letter writer to the University Graduate School.
- Two different writing samples- academic or work related
- Complete the Departmental Application and upload this with your other application materials to the University Graduate School Application Portal.
All application materials and supporting documentation must be received in the online system of the University Graduate School by December 1st for admission. Your file will not be reviewed until all materials have been successfully uploaded. Applications completed after the date will be held over for the following year. Late applicants cannot be guaranteed consideration. Admission to the graduate programs is only for the Fall semester. Completed Application Materials should be uploaded through the University Graduate School application portal Apply Now
No hard copies of application materials will be accepted by email or mail by the Department of Psychology. If you have any trouble uploading materials you must then mail the hard copies directly to the University Graduate School so they may upload the materials for you.
Florida International University Graduate Admission Requirements
The University Graduate School website has many valuable resources to aid in the application process.
The following are the University’s Graduate Admission Requirements
1. Online Graduate Application (your application to the Department will not be reviewed until this has been completed)
2. Certified/ Official transcripts of all college level work. Please submit Certified/Official Transcripts of all college level work to:
Graduate Admissions Office
PC 230, Modesto A. Maidique Campus
11200 S.W. 8th Street
Miami, FL 33199
Foreign Applicants: Please note you must provide a copy of your transcripts to graduate admissions and a translation from a recognized translation agency or official translator. Some suggested agencies are listed on the UGS web site at: http:/gradschool.fiu.edufuture-students-international.shtml
3. A 3.0 or higher GPA during the last two years as an upper division student for both the Master’s and Doctoral programs.
4. The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test. Send official scores to Florida International University (Code: 5206) University Graduate School.
5. International graduate student applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit a score for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A total score of 92 on the TOEFL (equivalent to 580 in the TOEFL) is required.
For more information about the Department of Psychology's application process please contact the graduate office at email@example.com or (305-348-2881). If you are inquiring about the status of your application please send an email with your name and Panther ID to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only email inquiries will be accepted to check the status of your application.