Prospective Undergrad Students
The psychology major offers excellent training in how to understand human behavior using scientifically rigorous methods. A degree in psychology can provide you with a solid foundation of knowledge applicable to such fields as Business, Education, Law, Medicine, and Social work, as well as Psychology. Students who major in Psychology are also given a variety of opportunities be become directly involved in on going research, participate in our active student organizations, and conducted their own studies through our various research labs.
The Academic Advisors in the Department of Psychology can help you select courses that will fit your different interests and help you meet your career goals. In addition, they can help you decide if a degree in Psychology is right for you.
Admission into the Psychology Major
Students can complete their University Core Curriculum courses while taking psychology courses. However, you must first be accepted into the university. Once you are admitted to Florida International University you need to complete the follow courses to be admitted to the Psychology program:
- A.A. or Core Curriculum/General Ed. Requirements met (any deficiencies noted)
- Intro to Psychology "C" or better in PSY – 2012 or equivalent at another University (MDC = PSY 2012)
- Another lower division Psychology course “C” or better (Take ONE of the following: DEP 2000: Human Growth and Development, DEP 2001: Psychology of Infancy and Childhood, INP 2002: Introduction to I/O Psychology, SOP 2772: Psychology of Sexual Behavior, CLP 2001: Personal Adjustment) or equivalent at a Junior College.
- STA 2122: Introduction to Statistics I and earn a “C” or better or equivalent at a Junior College (Miami Dade College = STA 2023)
- BSC 2023: Human Biology and earn a “C” or better or equivalent at a Junior College
Students seeking the Major should meet with a Department of Psychology’s Academic Advisor and fill out a Request for a Major form.
Admission into the Psychology Minor
To earn a Minor in Psychology current Florida International Students must take fifteen (15) upper division semester hours/ credits (3000 or 4000 level courses) offered in the Department of Psychology including fully online courses. However, students should NOT take PSY 3213 or any Senior Lab courses as these will not count toward the minor. A grade of “C” or higher must be earned in these courses. Students seeking the minor should meet with a Department of Psychology’s Academic Advisor and fill out a Request for a Minor form.
We strongly recommend that students who are close to completing their AA Degree from a Florida Public Community College do so before transferring to the Psychology program. Students that enter Florida International University with an AA degree are not required to complete the University Core Curriculum courses (http:/www.fiu.edu~advising/uccform.htm). If you enter Florida International University without an AA degree you will have to take all the required University Core Curriculum courses plus the required Department of Psychology courses before you can earn your degree.
For more information about transferring to the Department of Psychology from another institution, please contact our Academic Advising Department to schedule an appointment.