Skip to Main Content

Getting Licensed

Learn the proper procedure for getting licensed.

  • Steps to Getting Licensed

    To get licensed as a Mental Health Counselor in the state of Florida, follow these steps:

    • Complete a Master’s degree, including at least 1000 hours of pre-master's supervised clinical practicum and internship and consists of at least 60 credit hours in the 12 required content areas.
    • Register with the Florida Board as an MHC Intern. For more information, visit
    • Begin the two-year post-master's supervised experience in mental health counseling. Make sure to use the following guidelines:
      • Two years' experience is defined as 1500 direct client contact hours and 100 hours of supervision.
      • The hours must be completed over two years, no less than 100 weeks (i.e. they may not be completed in one year, but may be completed in more than 2 years).
      • These hours must be completed in a mental health setting where there is a licensed mental health counselor (or the equivalent) on staff.
    • Register for and take the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHE). More information about the NCMHCE can be found in the NCMHE Handbook.
    • From the Board approved CEUs provider, complete (1) an eight-hour Laws and Rules course, (2) a three-hour course on Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, and (3) a two-hour Domestic Violence course.
    • Complete an application for licensure.

    Please review the laws and rules to determine eligibility. The laws and rules can be found at the state website under “Statutes and Rules”, Mental Health Counseling s. 491.005(4), F.S., and Rule Chapter 64B4, F.A.C.

  • Becoming a Registered Intern

    The following are the steps you need to take to become Florida State Registered Mental Health Counselor Intern:

    Step 1

    Obtain an application by going to the Licensure Board official website.

    Step 2

    Complete all sections of the Application. Instructions for the application are available at the above website, but here are example instructions and an example completed application form.

    Once the application is complete, mail the application with the appropriate fee to:

    Board of Clinical Social Work,
    Marriage and Family Therapy
    and Mental Health Counseling
    4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin #C08 
    Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3258
    (850) 245-4474

    Step 3

    The Board requires that the University send a letter verifying that your Practicum and Internship were completed following the CACREP Standards. Please complete the Practicum and Internship Verification Form found in the Student Handbook (see the Current Students page) and forward this to the Program Coordinator. Once the form is received, the letter will be prepared and sent directly to the Board.

    Step 4

    You must identify a Qualified Supervisor to sign off on your post-master's hours before you can count the hours towards licensure. If you already have a Supervisor at the time you fill out the application, you can provide that information at that time. Most agencies where you will likely be employed as a Registered Intern will provide you with a Supervisor.

    If you have any specific questions about the application, please contact the Board directly using the contact information above.

  • Licensure Exam Information

    To find out more about the NCMHCE:

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Can I sit for the National Examination before I finish my post-master's hours?


    Do I have to be finished with my supervised experience before I can take the laws and rules course and the medical errors course?

    No. You can take these courses anytime.

    As a registered intern, am I required to obtain continuing education?

    No, however, you may choose to take the HIV/AIDS and Domestic Violence requirements for initial Licensure while you are a registered intern.

    I’ve just put my application for intern registration in the mail. Can I begin counting my hours now?

    No. Chapter 491.0045, F.S. requires that you register as an intern prior to commencing and counting the hours towards the post-master’s experience.    

    Can I complete my hours in less than 2 years?